Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Some difficult questions to answer

In the past 24 hours and counting, I have been working with a career consultant with respect to what sort of career I would like to have in the next 5 or more years. This exercise is useful thus far - it entails me answering a series of questions - about 40 or so - with regards to what I want in my life. I have not finished answering them. In fact, I find some of the questions difficult to answer. The reason - I suspect and my consultant agrees with me - is that I have not been in touch with that part of myself. The best time to get in touch with myself is right now - the recession is indeed a time where change inevitably is going to happen, it is a time that forces evaluation of what is most important in one's life.

Yet to a large extent, this getting-in-touch-with-myself exercise has been the result of a self-induced change. I say this because it is one of the steps that I am taking to identify why I am bored with my life; identifying the issue is an essential part of the solution. So in the next 12 hours or so, I am devoting my time and resources to thinking about what I really want. I am going to be as honest as possible. I have decided not to worry about other people's judgment - in one way or another, I am bound to get judged eventually, so I may as well be honest with myself in the process. Those close to me have always been supportive, which is important, so I have the important thing with me already. I dont mind being judged so long as those close to me are supportive of my decision.

I have also purchased a plane ticket to fly to Jakarta in about 2 weeks time. I am going to stay there for 12 days with a short trip to Bali in between. I am hoping to meet some inspirational individuals with stories to tell and get their permission to write them in this blog. One story I have been meaning to get down to words is that of my father's. He is the most remarkable man in my life and I don't know much of his stories, and I am hoping to change that soon.

If you are not happy with some aspects of your life, I encourage you to do something about it. It may entail a difficult exercise of getting in touch with yourself and asking yourself what you really want and it is worth it. And get someone to do it with you - preferably a third party professional, although there is no stopping you doing it with someone close to you.

Over the next few days, I am going to look into the changes that the recession brings into my life, with particular emphasis on self-discipline. I think this is a good way to start since (1) it is currently happening and (2) it will give you an insight into my life.

Until then - take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment